Research plays a role in science, public/community health, and creating change in society. Research is used to identify and understand scientific innovation and exploration. In public health, research informs us about community needs and strengths, how to plan and implement programs, and evaluate outcomes related to those programs. Many communities are often the subject of research, but are not included in knowledge construction around how to develop, access or interpret this research. It is critical that we are skilled in accessing and interpreting published research while also being mindful of indigenous research frameworks. The purpose of this assignment is to provide you with the opportunity to: practice skills in assessing and interpreting research, begin to familiarize yourself with the data, language and structure of research articles and to think about how indigenous frameworks can be applied to current practices. In addition, you will practice comparing Indigenous Pacific research frameworks to research processes that we are reading about in class.Article Summary and AnalysisSelect one of the articles posted on iLearn about Pacific Islanders and Health (note that some of these articles are also assigned readings in our course reader). These articles describe a research study of some kind as opposed to a book review or editorial piece.Summarize and analyze the journal article and write a paper responding to the following:.1) What was the research aiming to understand? What communities were involved and who would benefit from this study?
2) What were the methods used?
3) What are the limitations of this study?
4) What do the results of the study imply? What message does this convey about Pacific Islander health?
5) What questions did this study raise for you?
6) Did this study utilize an indigenous methodological approach?• If so, what aspects of this research study are aligned with Oceanic indigenous methodologies? Use specific examples from the study
• What changes might you suggest to improve this research process to ensure the use of indigenous methodologies or even specific indigenous frameworks? Be specific
The post Health and Wellness among Pacific Islanders